Santa Barbara,Ca 93103
The construction of Station 7, in the foothills of Santa Barbara, commenced on June 23, 1950. Completion and initial manning occurred in the autumn of that year, with general district boundaries being the Los Padres National Forest(north), Montecito(east), Santa Barbara City proper(south), and the Old Mission lands(west). Service in this area is now accomplished with a 2004 Spartan Hi-Tech pumper w/short wheel base for superior manueverability. In addition, Station 7 crewmembers are automatically dispatched to all fires within the Los Padres National Forest front country from Gaviota Pass to the Rincon with their 2001 Master Body Navistar 4900 Series Model 14 brush engine.
Points of interest within 7's district are Mount Calvary Retreat, St. Mary's Seminary, Skofield, Franceschi, Parma, and Harris Parks, the Gibralter Road portal to the Los Padres National Forest, and of course stellar views of mountain and ocean. Also, the Firescape Garden-created in 1985 by SBFD personnel and local landscapers-renowned in the Southwest as an excellent illustration of fire resistive plant life.
In times past, this area has been swept by elemental forces. Coyote Fire(1964). Sycamore Canyon Fire(1977). Earthslides and flashflooding continue to threaten public and private concerns. Through this, the on duty crews are resolute, yet they have old-line sentiments. Their motto? "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." And that's how 7's rolls.
By Fire Engineer Bill Veazey 7C