Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
Important Links
InciWeb Fire Info
Peritoneal Mesothelioma
SB Firefighter Alliance
Firefighter Close Calls
LA Firemen's Credit Union
The Reynolds Co. Shadow Boxes
SBFD Flickr Photos
Santa Barbara CVB
FireStationLogos.com
Firehouse.com
Fire Engineering
Old Spanish Days
October 18, 2017
Station 1
Updated On: Jan 01, 2008

Station 1.JPG

121 W. Carrillo St.
Santa Barbara,CA 93101

     The first Santa Barbara firefighters operated out of City Hall that was located in the center of the grass area of De La Guerra Plaza.  A thin partition wall divided the fire department with its clattering horses and steamer from the police department and the meeting rooms of the city council.  In 1910 when the city received its first motorized apparatus, a 1910 Pope-Hartford hose and chemical wagon, the front facade had to be refaced and the opening widened to accommodate it.
     In 1923 the building was razed and rebuilt in its current location.  The fire department was moved to 921 Chapala Street.  The new station cost $18,000 to build and the firemen were anxiously awaiting their new headquarters.  Once the building was complete however, it was realized that a mistake in planning had been made and it protruded ten feet further than it should have into Chapala Street. The firemen, anxious to move into their new station and not wanting to delay it any longer put their own muscle into tearing down and rebuilding the portion necessary to bring Station 1 into compliance.  During the hard times of the 1920's the station became home to unemployed men needing a place to stay.  In exchange for a roof over their heads they were given the opition to help fight fires.
     In 1960 the present station 1 was completed.  Cost of the new station including six new fire engines was $650,000.  This money came from a city bond passed in 1958.  In 1964, the station was renamed and dedicated to Fire Chief C.L. Tenney, the longest serving Fire Chief in the history of our department.  He served as chief from 1938 until his death in 1963. 
     Station 1 houses a front line engine, a reserve engine, an aerial ladder truck, a reserve aerial ladder truck, a heavy duty squad, a medical rescue unit, a battalion chief's car and several utility apparatus.  There is a crew of eight firefighters on duty each day.  This crew consists of one battalion chief, a three-person engine and a four-person truck/squad crew.  During the day it is also home to our department adminstration, prevention and support staff. While the engine crew at Station 1 like any other station has an assigned first-in district, the truck company responds to all structure fires and rescues in the city.  Some of the target hazards for Station 1 are City College, the State Street retail district, Granada Theater, several large hotels and retirement villas and Stearns Wharf. 

                                    By Fire Engineer Kathi Sizemore 1A


Member Login
Username:

Password:


Not registered yet?
Click Here to sign-up

Forgot Your Login?
  Video  
     

 

Action Center

IAFF

CPF

SBFD STAFFING

SB CITY E-MAIL (SBCITY_WAN/USERNAME)

SBCFFA FACEBOOK
IAFF Local 525
Copyright © 2017, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

464908 hits since Feb 16, 2006
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image